Field of Activity
Duct builders work both on new constructions and on overhaul and rehabilitation projects at various job sites. They install discharge pipes as open conduits subject to and not subject to foot traffic and also pressure pipelines.
Duct builders carry out their work on the basis of technical documents and job orders, both independently and in cooperation with others. They plan and coordinate their work, consult and coordinate with others working on the site, set up construction sites and take the measures required for smooth-running operations, for health and safety at work and to protect the environment at the job site. They check their work to ensure error-free execution, document their work, carry out quality assurance measures, calculate job performance data and hand the vacated job site on.
When carrying out the following activities, duct builders use plant and machinery, they erect and dismantle scaffolding for work, protection and support purposes and measure constructions and elements thereof for proper fit.
- carry out excavation work, line construction pits and trenches, fill in and compress earth and build embankments;
- carry out open water lowering work for soil-course water and groundwater;
- install discharge pipes as open conduits;
- examine pipelines and manholes and protect them from corrosion and chemical influences;
- build cable ducts and lay cables and cable pipes;
- overhaul and rehabilitate ducts;
- build manhole constructions using prefabricated parts, reinforced concrete and masonry;
- carry out related tasks to restore the road surface.
Additionally, duct builders carry out related tasks in the field of building construction. They
- build timber-plank formwork for right-angle foundations, supports, walls, beams and recesses, build and anchor reinforcing elements, and deliver concrete by hand,
- build masonry structures using small and medium-sized blocks,
- seal constructions against moisture.