Field of Activity
Cartographers work in the public service or in private engineering consultancies and publishing companies. Their job is to present geographical data in visual form. Working from data relating to a specific areas, they use analogue and digital technologies to produce and update topographical maps, theme maps, map-based presentations, presentation graphics and multimedia products. The work requires graphic skills and spatial awareness.
- evaluate source material for cartographic presentation and plan the design of maps and presentational graphics;
- advise clients in the design and realization of cartographic products, select the appropriate production route and plan work flows;
- collate, manage and edit area-related data;
- convert data for use in maps on various themes, presentational graphics and multimedia products;
- supply edited data for use in a variety of media or output them on different output devices;
- use information and communication technologies.