Installing and servicing building ventilation systems.
Building Services Engineering makes buildings work. It is a specialist branch of engineering within the construction sector.
Ductwork systems provide clean air and/or remove used air, and move temperature controlled air around the inside of buildings as part of a building’s ventilation and life safety systems.
Ductwork Craftspersons plan, organize, undertake, complete and oversee the installation and maintenance of ductwork systems in large industrial and commercial buildings including office blocks, factories, schools, airports and hospitals.
Ductwork Craftspersons use their skills to assemble, install, test, repair, pre-commission, commission, handover and de-commission ductwork made from a wide range of materials, as well as overseeing the work of others, and understand the importance and function of the system to be installed. Interaction with the latest technologies e.g. Building Information Modeling (BIM) and the ability to understand and interpret drawings are essential.
Ductwork Craftspersons have detailed knowledge of the system’s operating principles as well as being able to:
- identify, establish and set the requirements of the job, whether from engineering drawings or client’s other instructions;
- liaise and work with other trades, suppliers and clients, as appropriate;
- solve problems within the scope of the work they carry out;
- ensure that work undertaken by self and others complies with all relevant standards and required level of quality
- plan, monitor and assist in the delivery of work programmes
- contribute to client/other change as required.
They must be able to demonstrate competence in the health and safety, communication, quality control and environmental requirements appropriate to their scope of work. Craftspersons are client facing as appropriate, representing their company.
Craftspersons are able to work within new build construction sites and existing buildings on their own, proficiently and without supervision in the most efficient and economical manner. They must adhere to safe working practices without endangering themselves or others.
Summary of standard