Field of Activity
Boatbuilders’ work covers the building, rebuilding, conversion and repair of yachts and boats and the services customary in this branch of business. Boats include yacht and boat types of timber, plastic, steel and aluminium or a combination of these materials. They carry out their work for example in workshops, in factory halls, winter storage sheds, in the outdoor installations of shipyards or in boat centres and water sports clubs.
Boatbuilders carry out their work independently on the basis of technical documents and work orders on their own, in a team and in cooperation with other trades. They plan and coordinate their work, set up workplaces and take measures for safety and health protection at work as well as for environmental protection. They inspect their work for fault-free construction, document it, carry out quality assurance measures and calculate the services provided. In connection with the activities listed below, boatbuilders operate and maintain equipment, machines and transport equipment and set up and dismantle scaffolding.
- measure and check the measurement results, mark off workpieces and transfer dimensions and outlines,
- select equipment and machines and set them up,
- maintain equipment and machines,
- work and machine workpieces made of wood, plastic and metal,
- make separable and permanent connections,
- prepare fibre-reinforced plastics,
- make jigs and fixtures, templates, models and moulds,
- make hulls, decks and superstructures,
- make hatchways and install them,
- mount deck fittings,
- carry out internal finishing work,
- treat and coat surfaces,
- erect masts and spars,
- install technical systems and test their functioning,
- maintain and repair boats,
- transport and store boats,
- use environmental engineering techniques.